Friday, May 30, 2008

North carolina

We're here! We made it. North Carolina is intresting. Ryan really likes the Duke campus, i think it looks like Hogwarts, neo gothic arcitecture. Addie has adjusted really well. It is really hot and humid but not as humid as i expected. Having Birmingham as a comparison, nothing could be as humid. I get lost everywhere i go so without the gps i would never get home! That has been the greatest gift for us. This place is so confusing, they use four or five basic street names and then just change the ending i.e. Chapel hill road, chapel hill drive, chapel hill- durham road, old chapel hill road etc. Everyone mumbles and with the thick southern accent they may as well be speaking chinese... i cant understand anyone. There isnt much to do. I have been trying to keep myself busy with exploring and try to familarize myself with the area. The moving truck gets here tonight and that will be a nice distraction. I found a spot on our balcony where i can get wireless internet and that has been a nice way to feel connected to the world again. I was going to take addie swimming today but its a little overcast. Ryan gets home around 5 or 6. I am anxious for sunday and i am hoping to make some friends at church. I don't like the idea of being so far away from my family. So i hope i will be able to make friends with some of the girls at church because Ryan is the only married first year (international law summer start) student and everyone about died when he said he also has a baby.
I did get a chance to go with Ryan to a social his program held yesterday. There is one guy who came from BYU and he is actually parapalegic. I was really shocked at how articulate and charismatic he was, in fact he may have been one of the friendliest of everyone there. He has his straw thing that he controls his wheel chair with. He is really paralyzed from the shoulders down. He will be an intense lawyer!

I plan on getting my film developed this weekend and i will share some pictures of the south. I will also charge my digital camera and get some pictures or downtown and our apartment and some of the campus.

5 comments:

Sarah Paskett said...

I've got a friend that's a chef in Raleigh. He's going to try to get a comped dinner for you and Ryan in July. How's the culture shock coming along?

The Hendrys said...

You will learn to love the Southerns. They are very nice people. I work with a lot of people from Alabama, that is where our corporate office is, the lady I work with in accounting is just a few years younger than me, and she is a sweetie. You will do well there when you find some friends.
Glad to hear you furniture is arriving. Hope everything made the trip.

The Skeen's said...

What an adventure this is. You will be surprised at how quickly it will all feel familiar. We can't wait to see your pictures. We love you guys.

Jamie Jo said...

What a great experience. We moved all over when I was younger, and it is fun to be from so many different places. You're going to have to learn to say ya'll, which is one of my favorite words. I still use it. Josh gives me a hard time, but too bad! Can't wait for the pics. I started The Host last night. Just the prologue so far. I'm confused. Are the Souls supposed to be good guys?

The Hendrys said...

Look like I am going to aquire a copy of the Host. I enjoyed the Twilight series.
Give Addie a big squeeze for me.

Love you, Granny

Blog Archive

My Life List:

  • write a childrens book
  • Take a photography class
  • take a dance class
  • Own a house that we built!
  • Live abroad
  • Live abroad
  • Learn to speak enough german to have a conversation
  • Learn to screen print
  • Learn to rock climb
  • Learn to make a wedding cake
  • Hike the Chilkoot trail in Skagway Alaska
  • Graduate from college
  • go to Thailand
  • Go to Cambodia (Ryan says, how about tanzania? or morocco?)
  • Get back to my pre pregnancy weight
  • Be in a musical with Addie
  • be an extra in a movie