Monday, March 8, 2010

2:59:48 Half marathon

Yesterday I completed my first half marathon! I had only run about 6 1/2 miles going into this, so i was really nervous. The night before I had my sisters (the veterans) giving me a pep talk. They taught me all the secrets to running (gu, the jelly beans that give you energy, drinking gatorade at all the stops and wearing a trash bag at the beginning so i can tear it off when i am not cold anymore and rubbing pretty much my entire body in vasoline) I also invested in some special socks that have padding in the toes and heels and they were awesome. The night before I felt like i was going to throw up i was so nervous about not being able to do it. So i kept telling myself over and over again in my mind that i would be able to do this.

The race started and they had fireworks going off, i was so psyched and ready to go! But Tracy just reminding me that "slow and steady" (great advice from both of my sisters). I just kept and a nice jog and got my music pumping. Did I mention i ran the entire thing in a tutu and a crown?
By the first bathroom stopped i realized i had been trying so hard to keep myself hydrated i had to use the restroom but i already felt like my body didn't want to stop so i passed it by and waited for the next one. After stopping to use the restroom i decided that was not a good idea and that i wouldn't be stopping for the rest of the race. Tracy and I got going again and i was doing great and we passed by all the Disney characters cheering us on plus the volunteers who are yelling and even using your name and it was really giving me a lot of energy. I loved the cheer squads. They also had different choirs and drummers and marching bands playing along the way. Seriously don't know what i would have done without all the energy that gave me.
By mile 7 i was feeling like a rock star for having officially run more than i had ever run in my life.
But then mile 8 hit and i was in a lot of pain and could feel my knees swelling and everything hurt and i knew i would feel better if i just stopped but there was NO WAY on earth i was going to give up now. That was when my own personal cheerleader, Tracy started pumping me up and one point even held my hand and said come on pick up the pace. And I did. I started telling myself i can do this, i am strong, i have to do this. Tracy said she kept looking back and could see me talking to myself after the race I told her i was just saying "strength" over and over again.
When we got to mile 9 i decided i had to walk so we walked for three miles (till this point i had only run and hadn't stopped) When i saw mile 10 i got really choked up and realized that was really going to do this and it was a reality and i wasn't even anywhere near the car that picks up those who fall behind and can't make it, a victory in itself.
We finally hit mile 12 and i saw Tinkerbell, Silvermist and Rosetta standing there and i leaned over to Tracy and said if Tinkerbell can't motivate me I don't think anything will. Tinkerbell is Addison's very favorite thing ever. Tinkerbell=Addison, hence the motivation. We picked up the pace and I finally spotted the sign for the 13th mile and Tracy says okay you did 13 now you can do .1! I got super emotional and totally lame. I also loved coming around the corner and seeing the gospel choir singing. I even made it in under 3 hours 2:59:48 it was close but i swear it counts! haha

I think the biggest surprise is that i expected to run through Disneyland on flat ground and that wasn't at all what we did. we were running the freeways and up on ramps and went from Disney to Epcot. The energy was awesome. Tracy was awesome. And most of all I am so proud of my mom for completing it! I am looking forward to doing it again and now that I've done it I feel like it will be easier to train for.

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

woo hoo, you almost have me motivated(hahaha) That's awesome that you did it, I know you really wanted it!

Jamie Jo said...

What a great victory, Megan. That's awesome. And how great to do that with your sisters and mom. I've walked a half, and I want to run one, but I'm scared! Milly loves Tinkerbell, too. That's who her little panties have all over them. I always tell her, "Now, don't pee on Tinkerbell."

Alicia said...

Congratulations! You are fantastic! It makes me excited to do my race next month. Thanks for being a good running example to me!

Ashton said...

Yay Megan! That is so awesome. Congratulations!!

Rachel Oswald said...

You go girl! How fun to be able to do that with your family. I loved reading your story.

Eric Miller said...

I ran one of those once. Definitely started out a little too hard and paid the price. Nice work. Even if you came in at 2:59:59 it would still count as under 3 hours.

Natalie said...

i am really impressed...that is awesome that you got 'er done!

The Ryans said...

WAY TO GO MEGAN - Uncle Mark and I have been on the sidelines when our daughter Crista ran her half marathon in SLC and also her full marathon in Ogden. The runners are always such an inspiration to me...yet I haven't taken the leap yet to see if I can accomplish such a feat. We're very proud of you!!
oxoxo

Melanie said...

You rock my world Megan!! You're an inspiration... Loved the DETAILED story. It was so fun to read. Glad you're still alive :-)

DarbyM said...

so excited for you, that is awesome! Whooot!

The Plewe Clan said...

You did great and now you can get ready for the next one...wanna do a full with me??? I know if I keep asking someone will accept! Mom said you all hobbled around for a couple of days...hope you are feeling better today! Do you have pics:?

Blog Archive

My Life List:

  • write a childrens book
  • Take a photography class
  • take a dance class
  • Own a house that we built!
  • Live abroad
  • Live abroad
  • Learn to speak enough german to have a conversation
  • Learn to screen print
  • Learn to rock climb
  • Learn to make a wedding cake
  • Hike the Chilkoot trail in Skagway Alaska
  • Graduate from college
  • go to Thailand
  • Go to Cambodia (Ryan says, how about tanzania? or morocco?)
  • Get back to my pre pregnancy weight
  • Be in a musical with Addie
  • be an extra in a movie