Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers' Day

No one gets taken for granted like a mother.

Sadly, I'm no exception, and all too often take all the mothers in my life for granted. So being Mothers day I thought I'd start from the top of the tree and work my way down.

Grandmas.
I have two amazing grandmas and one grandma-in-law. One gave me a loan for my first car, and then wouldn't let me pay it all back, despite my best efforts. She looked after my cultural upbringing and bought me my first cassette tapes I ever owned (50 best classics remember?). The other taught me how to play cards, although I could never beat her, again despite my best efforts. She was always there with a smile, an Oreo (or a tootsie roll), and a great story. My darling grandma-in-law (should such a title exist) took me in as part of the family long before I was ever truly part. All of them, for as long as I have known them have shown me so much love and support that I can never possibly express it in words. Thank you Grandmas!


Moms.
I have the best mom and mom-in-law imaginable. My mom has always taken an interest in absolutely anything I've ever done. She was a tireless soccer, basketball, baseball, football and swim team fan; she listened to the music I liked; she watched cartoons with me (though, often through closed eyelids in the recliner, warm toes get her every time); and perhaps my fondest memory -- she read to me. I remember lying in bed listening to her read stories to Kelly and I. So much of what I am today is because of my Mom. Thank you Mom! I love you! As for my "mom-in-law" little needs to be said. She has always taken me in and made me feel like part of the family, and her strength and poise in working through this latest trial has shown her to be an example to us all. And most importantly, she raised an incredible daughter who is now the mother of my child.

Meg.
As I walked down the hallway toward my hotel room here in Kalamazoo, I felt rather dizzy because of the gaudy carpet and intense paint on the walls (green and yellow paisley carpet and salmon crackle-paint walls, I don't know who they think their kidding, no one is going to believe they are marble walls when there's vintage 1970's Vegas carpet below it) and thought... you know who would laugh at nearly all of the jokes going through my mind right now? (nearly... but the ones she wouldn't laugh at are generally so not funny that they really shouldn't be encouraged)

I didn't finish my blog post for our anniversary, and so I wasn't able to put down how overwhelmingly blessed I feel to have Meg in my life. I'm not especially gifted with words, so attempting to simply say how I feel can be problematic. When I can write it down and look at it, I generally get closer to expressing the inexpressible emotions I feel for my sweetheart. (Tough, on Anniversaries, Birthdays, and Mother's days, I'm allowed the cheese)

You are a great mother. You are kind and loving and so much more than you ever give yourself credit for. You are all the good things that I'm not, and the good things that I am, are better because of you. Addison is lucky to have you as her mom. Thank you for everything that you do. You really do an amazing job raising Addison; better than I could ever do. I'm sorry I don't express that more often. I love you.

4 comments:

The Ryans said...

Ry
I don't know how you can say you are not gifted with words I think you are amazing with words and such a wonderful nephew by expressing yourself.
I am very proud of you and glad you are part of my family!!!
oxoxo Aunt Natalie

Steve and Cindee said...

Thank you for the wonderful thoughts and feelings, something straight from the heart is one of the best Mother's Day gifts a Mom can get. I remember all the ball games, swim meets, and I must say my favorites was water polo, that was excitement!! I still love and listen to the music you introduced me all those years ago. Having someone read or tell me a story was one of my favorite things growing up, that was why I read too you kids. Read to little Addison and remember to use funny voices. I was never very good at those, but some of my favorite stories had funny voices in them.

The Hendrys said...

Thank you Ryan for such wonderful memories. Your mom is right these are the best kind of greetings.

Love you and Meg and little Addie.

Grandma

The Skeen's said...

Thank you Ryan for such wonderful sentiments. Such a nice tribute to all these women in your life. We feel blessed to have you in our family. We are extremely proud of you and we love you!

Blog Archive

My Life List:

  • write a childrens book
  • Take a photography class
  • take a dance class
  • Own a house that we built!
  • Live abroad
  • Live abroad
  • Learn to speak enough german to have a conversation
  • Learn to screen print
  • Learn to rock climb
  • Learn to make a wedding cake
  • Hike the Chilkoot trail in Skagway Alaska
  • Graduate from college
  • go to Thailand
  • Go to Cambodia (Ryan says, how about tanzania? or morocco?)
  • Get back to my pre pregnancy weight
  • Be in a musical with Addie
  • be an extra in a movie