Saturday, September 29, 2007

Homecoming 5k

After four whole hours of sleep, I was up and getting my family ready for our first ever 5k with all three of us!
I just recently scored a sweet deal on a jogging stroller off Craigslist and i decided i was ready to break it in!
This morning at 8:15 we ran the University of Utah Homecoming 5k! My goal was only to beat my time of 45 minutes but as i arrived they informed me that i could enter myself into the stroller division, so my focus changed. As I looked around I realized i was the only one with a stroller and felt fairly confident. It was rather disheartening when we walked to the starting line and saw some skinny mamas with their jogging strollers. So I told Ryan that I would concentrate on beating my time not the other moms... YEAH RIGHT!
This was the hardest 5k i have ever run. It was intense because the hills around campus and running with a jogging stroller for the very first time.
I don't recommend entering a 5k with your jogger if you have never done it before, unless you have a wonderful husband to run by your side and help when it comes to pushing it up the hill. We were neck in neck with the other 2 strollers the entire time. You see, I am one of the most competitive people I know (excluding my sisters) so once I had competition in sight I managed to push myself much harder than i would otherwise. (which I'm sure I'll pay for tomorrow.) Which is why I love running 5K's more than i love running otherwise. I thrive on competition. I am the person who will run beside you on a treadmill at the gym and keeping peeking over to what your time is, so that i can beat you. (And man does it feel good when i achieve my silent victories!) When we had the finish line in sight I saw that it said 39 minutes 52 seconds, so i kicked it into full gear coming in in 40 min. Not only did i beat my time, I managed to (with the help of Ryan but we will take a win however we can get it) WIN SECOND PLACE FOR THE STROLLER DIVISION!

I won a bag of goodies and football tickets... totally worth it. All i really needed was to have my name called over the loud speaker as a winner! ha ha I felt so validated. And Addison loved her new jogging stroller, she even feel sound asleep for most of the run. We will definitely be doing this again!!!



6 comments:

Sarah & Annika said...

Whoo! We're so proud of you guys! I hope I'm as active as you after we have a baby. Congratulations!!

Alyssa Griffeth said...

Good for you! I've gotta catch the running wave...If only I were more competative...:-)

The Skeen's said...

I am so proud of you guys!! Love the jogging stoller and the pictures.

Anonymous said...

you guys are awesome. I envy you both.
aunt natalie

Anonymous said...

Congratulation,s that is so awesome, and for Addison to be Mom and Dad's little running partner that is great!
Grandma Sonia

Meg said...

So what is all the hype about the "Twilight" series? (Obviously I have never heard of it until i saw your page). I'm really interested in getting to read new books.

Blog Archive

My Life List:

  • write a childrens book
  • Take a photography class
  • take a dance class
  • Own a house that we built!
  • Live abroad
  • Live abroad
  • Learn to speak enough german to have a conversation
  • Learn to screen print
  • Learn to rock climb
  • Learn to make a wedding cake
  • Hike the Chilkoot trail in Skagway Alaska
  • Graduate from college
  • go to Thailand
  • Go to Cambodia (Ryan says, how about tanzania? or morocco?)
  • Get back to my pre pregnancy weight
  • Be in a musical with Addie
  • be an extra in a movie