Saturday, February 2, 2008

President Hinckley's Funeral







This afternoon we went downtown to watch the hearst carry President Hinckley's body drive by to pay our last respects and say goodbye. It was a very moving experience as you can probably tell from the pictures. The streets were lined with people waving hankerchiefs and canes in memory of President Hinckley. We watched the funeral on t.v. and cracked up listening to all the funny stories. President Hinckley really was an incredible man and leader.
It was suppose to be snowy and freezing and instead we had one of the most beautiful days we've seen in weeks! It was perfect


God sometimes places a "giant among men," Monson said. "President Hinckley was such a giant. "He was our prophet, seer and revelator. He was an island of calm in a sea of storm. He was a lighthouse to the lost mariner. ... He comforted and calmed us when conditions in the world were frightening," Monson said.

7 comments:

The Hendrys said...

Oops I have my commet on the wrong post check out a Tooth Cometh.

The Plewe Clan said...

I am so jealous that you guys went to that. That is a once in a lifetime experience. I wish that I had been more on the ball and I would have driven up there just to take my boys to the viewing and have the chance to be a part of that...cute stroller by the way! Are you coming to CA anytime soon? I need a haircut and I am afraid to have someone else cut it!

Jamie Jo said...

Megan, how wonderful to have been there! I got so choked up as the news reported how many people lined the streets and that they had little canes. What a great experience for you. And I'm sure it was very touching to the Hinckley children. Can you imagine what it was like to have your father be the prophet and have to share him with the world. I wonder how many family things he had to miss because he was serving the church?

Tracy said...

You are so lucky to have had the opportunity. I liked the pic too...something for a scarpbook for sure. Love you.

The Plewe Clan said...

Your photo taking skills are amazing RYAN! Good job!

The Skeen's said...

Those are the neatest pictures. You will always treasure them.

Lindsey said...

My last week was so busy. We were on our way to the ER with Emma when we got the news about our Prophet's passing. Then I was watching Sara's boys all weekend during the funeral and services, and 2 extra kids rocked my world. It was only until I read your blog and saw your picture waving your hankerchief that it really sunk in and my throat closed up. What a great example you set. Something about seeing you holding your little baby, standing out in the cold, just really touched my heart. Thanks for the entry.

Blog Archive

My Life List:

  • write a childrens book
  • Take a photography class
  • take a dance class
  • Own a house that we built!
  • Live abroad
  • Live abroad
  • Learn to speak enough german to have a conversation
  • Learn to screen print
  • Learn to rock climb
  • Learn to make a wedding cake
  • Hike the Chilkoot trail in Skagway Alaska
  • Graduate from college
  • go to Thailand
  • Go to Cambodia (Ryan says, how about tanzania? or morocco?)
  • Get back to my pre pregnancy weight
  • Be in a musical with Addie
  • be an extra in a movie